Some of the most important cases we deal with here at Varghese & Associates, P.C. involve juvenile crimes. When young people are arrested for committing alleged illegal acts, their futures are at stake. We know that parents are naturally concerned about the potential consequences of their child’s brush with the law: Will my child have a permanent criminal record? What about college applications and scholarships?
When you need compassionate guidance and answers, we’re here for you. Our New York City criminal defense lawyers at Varghese & Associates, P.C. believes in the importance of helping young people find a second chance and a clean slate. We can help parents and their children navigate New York’s intricate juvenile justice system and find creative solutions that preserve their child’s future so they can have every opportunity to thrive.
Criminal Court And Family Court
On This Page
Underage individuals are prosecuted in criminal court and in family court. Both arenas have different proceedings and different challenges. In family court, cases are decided by judges and are more likely to go to trial. In criminal court, cases are decided by juries and plea bargains are used more frequently. Our firm offers representation for young people of all ages and facing all types of scenarios.
Most Common Juvenile Criminal Acts
- Criminal mischief. This can include acts of property damage such as graffiti, vandalism, breaking windows, keying cars, arson and any other destruction of property.
- Theft. Shoplifting is one of the most common offenses committed by minors. Taking any item from a store, no matter what the monetary value, can lead to criminal charges.
- Drug offenses. Minors often get caught up in activities involving drugs, whether due to peer pressure or curiosity. From drug possession to sale, you’ll need a strong attorney to fight for your child’s future.
- Gang-related offenses. If a prosecutor is able to connect an offense as a gang-related crime, including those involving violent offenses, your child may be facing harsher penalties.
- Sex crimes. From sexting to sexual assault and rape, our team is no stranger to defending clients accused of sexual offenses.
My Child Has Been Arrested. What Should I Do?
Early on, you need to take action to protect your child. Seek help from a reputable Manhattan criminal defense lawyer with extensive experience defending minors and providing compassionate guidance to parents all across New York City and New York. We understand what is at stake and how to properly and aggressively defend your child.
An Effective Advocate For Juveniles And Families
Varghese & Associates, P.C. has a reputation for superior criminal defense representation. Our long list of case successes speak about our ability, integrity and commitment to our clients. We are proud of the fact that we know how to protect you and your rights. Included in the list of Super Lawyers and the Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and featured in media outlets ranging from The New York Times to The Wall Street Journal to The New York Law Journal, our team at Varghese & Associates, P.C. is highly regarded and well-established in the criminal defense arena.